A small town in south west London, Sunbury-on-Thames is a part of the London commuter belt. It is located in the borough of Spelthorne, and 16 miles (25 km) southwest of central London. It is also bordered by Hampton and Feltham.
Historically part of Middlesex, Sunbury-on-Thames formed part of the Sunbury-on-Thames Urban District in 1894. A large amount of Middlesex merged with Greater London, in 1965. Furthermore, the Sunbury-on-Thames Urban District was instead relocated to Surrey. The postal county remained Middlesex when the Royal Mail did not accept the change in 1965. It has since formed part of the borough of Spelthorne when in 1974 the urban district was abolished.
The M3 divides Sunbury into two areas. Lower Sunbury is commonly known as Sunbury Village and borders the river Thames which makes up the southern part of the town. This location is mostly suburban housing and includes the majority of open parkland and Sunbury’s schools. The north section is called Sunbury Common, which is closer to Feltham and houses many of Sunbury’s businesses. The large roundabout, Sunbury Cross, and the M3 divides the two sections.
Sunbury contains a large amount of residential suburban, high-rise office buildings and industrial estates clumped together around the M3, A316 and A308. Before it was relocated to the north of Sunbury, it was the home of BP’s Engineering and Research Centre. The site has become Sunbury Business Park and contains a large number of BP’s business stores. Other companies have a presents here, including Chubb.